BARELY two weeks since a powerful earthquake, Cebu’s towns and cities are ready for the barangay elections today, Monday.
In Mandaue City, 11 of the 516 clustered precincts will be transferred to a different location because some classrooms were damaged.
MORE than 20,000 candidates in Cebu Province hope it will be their names voters write down in their ballots in today’s barangay elections.
But for about 13,600 of these candidates, today will end in a loss.
THE Commission on Elections (Comelec) bucked the growing trend of taking “selfies” saying such actions in Monday’s barangay elections is a definite no-no.
In an interview, Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez said there are strict limitations in making “selfies,” especially once inside the polling precincts.
JUDGES and clerks of court were ordered by the Supreme Court (SC) to go to work on Monday to resolve cases related to the barangay elections.
“In the interest of the efficient administration of justice and to ensure the speedy disposition of election related cases, you are hereby directed to report to your respective court on 28 October 2013 to act on all election matters within your jurisdiction and to resolve the same with utmost caution and dispatch,” said Court Administrator Jose Midas Marquez in a circular.
THE election period for the Barangay elections in Bohol and Zamboanga City starts on October 26 until December 10.
Earlier, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) postponed the October 28 village polls in the said provinces due to the earthquake that hit Bohol last week and the hostilities in Zamboanga City last month.
PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino III will cast his vote on Monday for the 2013 barangay elections in his hometown in Tarlac, Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said Sunday.
“Sa gaganaping pambarangay na halalan, pangungunahan ng Pangulong Aquino ang 54 na milyong botante sa pagpili ng mga mamumuno at maglilingkod sa ating mga barangay,” Coloma said in an interview over government-run radio station dzRB Radyo ng Bayan.
Six candidates in next week’s barangay elections in Agusan del Sur were abducted by suspected members of the New People’s Army (NPA) on Thursday, hours after the rebels attacked a military detachment in the area.
Captain Alberto Caber, spokesman of the military’s Eastern Mindanao Command, said rescue operations are underway to secure the freedom of the victims, all belonging to the Lumad tribe.
The Liga ng mga Barangay ng Pilipinas (LBP) filed an urgent motion for reconsideration seeking to prevent the Commission on Elections (Comelec) on implementing Resolution 9739 which mandates all barangays in the country to set aside P10,000 to augment Monday’s Barangay Elections.
LBP national president and Caloocan City councilor RJ Echiverri filed a motion for reconsideration before the Manila Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 6 which questioned the validity of the poll body’s resolution, insisting it is “barely unconstitutional since it is patently against the Omnibus Election Code.”
MORE than 500 individuals have been arrested for violating the Commission on Elections (Comelec) gun ban in connection with the October 28 barangay elections, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Friday.
As of 7:04 a.m. Friday, Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes said the PNP has recorded 518 arrests in different parts of the country.